The Moscow Expat Forums

Go Back   The Moscow Expat Forums > Moving to and living in Russia > TRAVEL, VISAS, REGISTRATION, RESIDENCY-STATUS & MORE > Temporary & Permanent Residency

Temporary & Permanent Residency Looking for a Russian "Green Card"? Got one already and have some advice for others?

Post New Thread Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 15:38

Dual US-Russian Citizenship

I've been working in Russia (as a teacher) for 2 years now going on 3, with a work visa (no TRP or PRP). Not married to a Russian.

1) Is it possible for an American to get dual US-Russian citizenship? If so, what are the requirements on each side? Could I still live year-round in Russia or would I have to spend time in the US?

2) So I've worked here 2 years on a work visa. Can I apply straight for a PRP or do I have to start with a TRP? Will the years I've already lived and worked here count? towards citizenship waiting time?

3) After that, what are the steps to gain Russian citizenship? Can it be dual?

4) What happens if it cannot be dual and you actually have to renounce your US citizenship and they don't refuse? If you want to travel to the US again, such as to visit relatives, will you need a visa? will need to be fingerprinted?? What's the best way to turn in the letter of renunciation but still get them to refuse it? (so you can keep your US citizenship)?
Thanks.
Old 05-08-2009, 22:25
,,,,,,,and Sun God!!!

Originally Posted by SPBCafe View Post
I've been working in Russia (as a teacher) for 2 years now going on 3, with a work visa (no TRP or PRP). Not married to a Russian.

1) Is it possible for an American to get dual US-Russian citizenship? If so, what are the requirements on each side? Could I still live year-round in Russia or would I have to spend time in the US?

2) So I've worked here 2 years on a work visa. Can I apply straight for a PRP or do I have to start with a TRP? Will the years I've already lived and worked here count? towards citizenship waiting time?

3) After that, what are the steps to gain Russian citizenship? Can it be dual?

4) What happens if it cannot be dual and you actually have to renounce your US citizenship and they don't refuse? If you want to travel to the US again, such as to visit relatives, will you need a visa? will need to be fingerprinted?? What's the best way to turn in the letter of renunciation but still get them to refuse it? (so you can keep your US citizenship)?
Thanks.
you have to first get a TRP.. after one year you can apply for your permanent residency... After being married to a Russian for over 3 years. Immediately upon getting your permanant residency you can apply for Russian citizenship. Migration will need a letter stating that you renounce all other citizenships.. They only way you can renounce your US citizenship is at a US embassy or consulate in front of a consular official. Other than that US will not consider anything you do in russia as binding. But dont listen to me. Go and ask the US embassy yourself at US citizen services.. Get it in writing.. Dont f around with your citizenship.. Nothing in the world is worth losing your US citizenship...
The Following User Says Thank You to BeachBum For This Useful Post: SPBCafe (06-08-2009)
Old 12-08-2009, 04:48

The following is from a webpage regarding dual citizenship and is from the US State department's travel & citizenship pages, specifically citizenship_778.html publication.
ADMINISTRATIVE STANDARD OF EVIDENCE
As already noted, the actions listed above can cause loss of U.S. citizenship only if performed voluntarily and with the intention of relinquishing U.S. citizenship. The Department has a uniform administrative standard of evidence based on the premise that U.S. citizens intend to retain United States citizenship when they obtain naturalization in a foreign state, subscribe to a declaration of allegiance to a foreign state, serve in the armed forces of a foreign state not engaged in hostilities with the United States, or accept non-policy level employment with a foreign government.
DISPOSITION OF CASES WHEN ADMINISTRATIVE PREMISE IS APPLICABLE
In light of the administrative premise discussed above, a person who:
1. is naturalized in a foreign country;
2. takes a routine oath of allegiance to a foreign state;
3. serves in the armed forces of a foreign state not engaged in hostilities with the United States, or
4. accepts non-policy level employment with a foreign government,
And in so doing wishes to retain U.S. citizenship need not submit prior to the commission of a potentially expatriating act a statement or evidence of his or her intent to retain U.S. citizenship since such an intent will be presumed.
When, as the result of an individual's inquiry or an individual's application for registration or a passport it comes to the attention of a U.S. consular officer that a U.S. citizen has performed an act made potentially expatriating by Sections 349(a)(1), 349(a)(2), 349(a)(3) or 349(a)(4) as described above, the consular officer will simply ask the applicant if there was intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship when performing the act. If the answer is no, the consular officer will certify that it was not the person's intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship and, consequently, find that the person has retained U.S. citizenship.
As for me I fully intend on gaining Russian citizenship, whatever it takes.
The Following User Says Thank You to dwandsv For This Useful Post: BeachBum (13-08-2009)
Old 12-08-2009, 08:45
Jedi Knight

Thanked 1,752 Times in 894 Posts
Hi dwandsv,

`As for me I fully intend on gaining Russian citizenship, whatever it takes.`
I have come to the same conclusion as you, citizenship is the only way to reside in this country without having difficulties with changing migration rules.
I have applied for TRP, but will then definitely go for PRP and immediately for citizenship.
How far in the process are you ?
What is your motivation to go for citizenship ?
Old 12-08-2009, 13:33

My Russian wife and I will move to Russia in summer of 2011 when I retire, she still owns an apartment in Barnaul where 2 of her 4 daughters still reside. I also do not want hassles when we travel throughout Russia and Europe. As far the the process I have not even begun and won't begin until just before we leave the US when I will obtain the required apostilled documents. I don't know about you but also to have Russian citizenship will eliminate problems with healthcare. In the mean while I believe I will have to carry some kind of health insurance, is this true?
Old 12-08-2009, 14:42
Jedi Knight

Thanked 1,752 Times in 894 Posts
In that case you can already apply for the TRP through the Russian Consulate, while you are still in the US.
That way you don`t have to come to Russia, to do all the tests, fly back and come again.
Citizenship won`t help you for healthcare problems. You probably are entitled to `free` medical care, and they will give it to you as long as you pay for it (meaning : having to buy your own medication, etc.). I`d keep my insurance if I were you. You can then still go to the western clinics. Knowledge of medical staff in the western clinics is most likely not better than in the state clinics, but here at least they have the equipment and the medications.
Old 12-08-2009, 19:33
Jedi Knight

Originally Posted by SV1973a View Post
In that case you can already apply for the TRP through the Russian Consulate, while you are still in the US.
That way you don`t have to come to Russia, to do all the tests, fly back and come again.
Do you (or anyone) have experience in applying for TRP via a Russian Consulate? What about the requirement I've read that the TRP must be "picked up" in XXX days (usually something like 3?) after it becomes available? How do you receive notification or otherwise find out that the TRP has been issued if you're not living at the registered TRP address?

We're planning to move to Russia and apply for TRP for me, but our plans are delayed a bit now, so it may be several months before we go now, and I'm trying to determine if doing the TRP application via consulate before going to Russia makes sense. I'd sure like to avoid any in/out/in visa headaches while waiting for TRP.
Old 13-08-2009, 03:08

How much time before leave for Russia should one apply for the TRP at the Russian Consulate. The Russian Consulate for me would require a 3600 mile round trip. I live in Sioux City and Iowa residents must go to the Seattle Consulate. I have sent an email to them asking about other concerns and finally after maybe a month they finally get back to me say to look on the website for answers. Almost as if they do not care to help.
Closed Thread

Tags
citizenship, dual, usrussian
Sponsored Links