The Moscow Expat Forums

Go Back   The Moscow Expat Forums > Moving to and living in Russia > TRAVEL, VISAS, REGISTRATION, RESIDENCY-STATUS & MORE

TRAVEL, VISAS, REGISTRATION, RESIDENCY-STATUS & MORE Discuss travel & special travel offers, visas, registration, residency status, dual nationality questions, the legal issues of marriage (and divorce), visa runs and where to make them… and a host of similar issues.

Post New Thread Closed Thread

Old 30-11-2010, 14:42

Advantages/Disadvantages of Russian citizenship

Hello,
I have both Russian citizenship (passport expired long ago) and Finish citizenship.

Could you suggest pros/cons for going to work in Russia as either
(a) Russian citizen (Renewing Russian passport), or
(b) Finish citizen (applying for work permit using Finish passport).

Any additional suggestions/feedback would be kindly appreciated.
Old 30-11-2010, 14:59
Jedi Knight

Thanked 1,752 Times in 894 Posts
Originally Posted by bik015 View Post
Hello,
I have both Russian citizenship (passport expired long ago) and Finish citizenship.

Could you suggest pros/cons for going to work in Russia as either
(a) Russian citizen (Renewing Russian passport), or
(b) Finish citizen (applying for work permit using Finish passport).

Any additional suggestions/feedback would be kindly appreciated.

You can not chose. If you are a Russian citizen, the Russian gouvernment will only consider you to be a Russian citizen.
It will also be a lot easier to work here as a Russian citizen, than as a foreigner. It saves you a lot of headaches not having to get the necessary permissions (work visa, work permit, medical checks, accreditation for your employer, 30% tax during first 6 months)
Old 01-12-2010, 01:52
Driver and Guide in Moscow

Russian citizenship in Russia

SV1973a is right.

Feel at home in Russia
www.moscow-dgh.com
Old 03-12-2010, 15:13

Advantages/Disadvantages

First, you may not have much choice. From what I hear the practice now is to check where you are from. So the fact that you are a Russian citizen may very well come out if you apply for your Russian visa as a citizen of Finland. Unless you moved to Finland before the computer era.

You will be able to get a valid Russian passport in the Russian Consulate in Helsinki.

A serious disadvantage to being here under the Russian passport is that, should you get in trouble, the Finnish Government will consider you a Russian citizen only and will not do a thing to help you. If, on the other hand, you are here as a Finnish citizen you'll be enjoying some protection from home. At the expense of extra hassle.

There is a procedure in place to give up the Russian citizenship. After a night in a police station cell a couple of years ago I've been thinking of doing just that, and living here as a Canadian citizen, more immune to local lawlessness. But that comes at the cost of visa hassles and extra expenses. I may be checking into giving up the Russian citizenship soon though. Write if you are interested in that subject.

The country has a proven tendency to devour its citizens. Should things go wrong again, as they do every few decades, you will be safer as a foreign citizen.

The ultimate factor is your risk tolerance level. And your laziness. If both are high, then just renew your Russian passport.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Pasha For This Useful Post:: Kraven Morehead (20-02-2011), Ruth123 (20-02-2011)
Old 03-12-2010, 15:19
Jedi Knight

Originally Posted by Uncle Pasha View Post
After a night in a police station cell a couple of years ago.
What did you do that made you end up in police station cell ?
Old 06-12-2010, 13:42

How to end up in a police holding cell

Not having registration is an easy method. Tried that back in '95. Being drunk AND in possession of money and property. 2007. Participating in a peaceful assembly. Now, in the Putin-era Russia, it is the surest bet if you wish to spend a few hours behind bars.

But they don't want to meddle with foreigners. So if you want the experience keep your mouth shut and don't be in a rush to show your documents. They will THREATEN you with prison as an attempt to exort $$ but will not do a thing. Enjoy. So, if you value security over convenience, give up your Russian citizenship (back to the original question of this thread).

But in case of a medical emergency you may either get preferred treatment to avoid a scandal, or get no treatment at all. I knew one fellow who was refused treatment in a pretty dire situation because, should a US citizen die in a Russian hospital (it was in Staritsa, Tver region) that would be a situation that can't go unnoticed.

Sign up for my Russian Misery Tourusm (c) tour! The dirtiest of watering holes, homeless hangrouts, and at the end the Russian police cell experience where you are allowed to pee only twice a day! If you insist on more your success will depend on how well you are at begging.

Russians are vicious when you are in their hands helpless. Avoid being drunk or sick in this country. Don't be a Russian dog or a Russian child. Not a country to be homeless. Cruelty and mutual humiliation are part of the culture. Till recently motorists would on purpose splash dirt on pedestrians. Power is perhaps the fundamental value in this society. Give them an opportunity to lock you, and they will. Russians positively enjoy keeping things (especially living things) locked. The rest is just excuses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Pasha For This Useful Post: Kraven Morehead (20-02-2011)
Old 06-12-2010, 13:52
Filled with hatred and cruelty!®

Thanked 11,509 Times in 7,126 Posts
Terrible... "Cry, baby, cry..."(C)
The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post: Inola (20-02-2011)
Old 06-12-2010, 14:11
Jedi Knight

Not having registration is an easy method. Tried that back in '95. Being drunk AND in possession of money and property. 2007. Participating in a peaceful assembly. Now, in the Putin-era Russia, it is the surest bet if you wish to spend a few hours behind bars.
Being drunk also can get you locked up in my country. Just for one night, or a couple of hours, so that you can sober up.
Also, participating in peaceful assemblies, carries the risk that you get arrested.

I agree that in both the above examples, in my country, you should have misbehaved terribly, before the police will take such measures.
They won`t lock you away for not having a registration, as we simply do not have such a thing.

I have to say about all my encounters with police in Russia (stopped for document checks a number of times -but that is a long time ago already / stopped by GAI / visit from the Economic Crime unit in our office) that they have always been correct with me (and with the Russian nationals that were present).
I agree, such events were not pleasant, but it is not the end of the world. They have always been polite with me, and I have always been polite with them, and I don`t think that would change should I have a Russian passport.

Till recently motorists would on purpose splash dirt on pedestrians.
Never experienced this...

Power is perhaps the fundamental value in this society.
Indeed this is a power-based society.
Old 06-12-2010, 14:56

Public assembly

"Also, participating in peaceful assemblies, carries the risk that you get arrested"

Please expand on that. Can you still get arrested in US, Canada, or EU provided you cause no mischief, block no traffic, make no excessive noice etc.? I've been away from civilization from '93, of which I did 10 in a deserted village in Russia. Presently I'm in the process of trying to understand the New Order. Is it just Russia (half bad) or the whole world (a serious concern unless space travel becomes cheap and accessible real soon) going down? Here it is not a risk but almost certainty. For the moment you will be held for a few hours although cases are known when people have been locked up for months.
Old 06-12-2010, 15:07
Jedi Knight

Please expand on that. Can you still get arrested in US, Canada, or EU provided you cause no mischief, block no traffic, make no excessive noice etc.?
Sure you can. You may be all quite and calm, but if the people around you start to make a fuss, you will get arrested just the same.
Old 06-12-2010, 15:15

Thanks, that's reassuring

Here here get it just for the fact of the assembly. In a true Byzantinesque manners, there is a law that guarantees freedom of assembly but also another law that requires you to obtain a permission to hold the event. Wish it was just banned but here is it neither/nor. For a few years I was able to derive enjoyment from the situation. It was like being trapped in a quality art movie..
Old 26-02-2011, 15:28
Filled with hatred and cruelty!®

Thanked 11,509 Times in 7,126 Posts
Off-topic is deleted. diablogun and Uncle Pasha to solve their questionss privately.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:24
Contributing Member

sending cash out of the country

the other difference is that with a non Russian visa, cash can be sent out of the country freely.

As a Russian citizen there are regulations that need to be followed.

This and the lack of protection afforded by your home country if you have a Russian passport are the two biggest diffferences. However many Russians have two passports, including my wife and two children, and I have no worries about legal protection mostly because we don't break the law.
Closed Thread

Tags
citizenship, dual, russian
Sponsored Links