The Moscow Expat Forums

Go Back   The Moscow Expat Forums > Moving to and living in Russia > TRAVEL, VISAS, REGISTRATION, RESIDENCY-STATUS & MORE

TRAVEL, VISAS, REGISTRATION, RESIDENCY-STATUS & MORE Discuss travel & special travel offers, visas, registration, residency status, dual nationality questions, the legal issues of marriage (and divorce), visa runs and where to make them… and a host of similar issues.

Post New Thread Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 17:40
Depressed

Flying to Kazakhstan from DME?

Just a word of warning to fellow passengers, especially those with young children, travelling to ANY destination in Kazakhstan from Domodedovo (DME) airport.

Due to the recent implementation of the Customs Union, flights to Kazakhstan are going through Sector E in the airport terminal which contains only:
  • Drinks vending machine;
  • Poor quality sandwich/salad vending machine;
  • Barclays ATM (faulty at time of writing - buttons don't work)
  • Toilets
  • Small smoking room
  • Seating for 200 people maximum
  • Water cooler (water never cool ...if there is any water);

Nobody or no notices inform passengers going through Sector E security, that there are no facilities beyond Immigration/Passport Control. Once through, you cannot go back.

You can view however, other passengers in Sector D strolling round the shops, bars and cafes through the glass partition. If ever you wondered what being in a zoo was like - pop into Sector E.

Moo-Moo (Му-Му) is your last chance for something to eat or drink, unless you have small notes to feed into an over-priced vending machine. 100 ruble note highest value accepted.

My recommendation is to eat and drink BEFORE going through Passport Control.

Incidentally, Sheremetyevo SVO Terminal E (AirAstana) has a limited number of shops, two cafes but no ATM. The 'Carlsberg Bar' accepts card payments, the coffee shop next to it doesn't - but you can get a coffee from the bar. In Terminal E there is lots of space for passengers to await their flights.

Domodedovo:
Sheremetyevo:

Of course, if you fly though and notice any changes, please update this post. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Parco For This Useful Post: FatAndy (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 17:45
Filled with hatred and cruelty!®

Thanked 10,517 Times in 6,518 Posts
Hi Parco,
I've stepped into this... substance... at this Monday, 31st Oct, Transaero flight DME-ALA, 10:50... yes, looks very strange...
AFAIR, Air Astana is based in SVO, not DME, so maybe it's better to use them, especially, as you said, when travelling with kids.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTICE for Alma-Ata (Almaty) airport to city visitors:
Taxists are trying to rip off MORE than in Moscow's airports.
Normal price to city centre is 3K KZT (tenge), maybe 3500, some hotels offer their taxi to meet for this price range (KZT to RUB is around 5:1 now).
Airport "official" taxi is 5K.
Other guys tried to rip 12K from me, but we somehow dealed at 5K (they agreed to "make discount" ).
My colleague from other company arrived with the same flight, though, has managed to pay 18K!!! 8))))

Return way city-airport from 3* hotel was 3K (from higher grade hotels will be a bit more).

In one word, East is delicate thing... Watch yourself, be careful...
The Following User Says Thank You to FatAndy For This Useful Post: Parco (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 17:58
Depressed

Just imagine there being flights delayed due to fog/adverse weather at DME and passengers building up in that limited space, food and drink stocks running out. There is no monitoring or control of the area. The security staff say its not their job, its for the airport administration to sort the problem out. However, EastLine (airport operator) reps are never available.

I expected better from DME but they seem to have that old SVO Terminal F mentality towards passengers/cattle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parco For This Useful Post: FatAndy (04-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 18:04

Well, return flight was easy at starting point (ALA), but I can confirm, that my general impression about DME has changed down too - passport control upon arrival was veeeeeery slow, with addition of that departure sector E....8(((
Old 13-11-2011, 01:55

Thanks for the info!!
Old 13-11-2011, 05:53

Is this so surprising? I think options are always pretty limited when flying out of Russia. Most of my experience is flying to the US from Sheremetyevo and I found the options after passport control to be extremely limited - yes, mainly vending machines, chips, chocolate, bad sandwiches...
Old 13-11-2011, 07:34

In SVO-2 (now SVO-F) everything was and is not bad - shops, bars, cafes. Even in SVO-1 (now SVO-B) there were at least 2 cafes with a hot food after passort control. Terminal D has them too, E also, D of course. Maybe you've had not enough time?
Old 13-11-2011, 08:20
Adventurer

Thanked 3,097 Times in 1,904 Posts
Originally Posted by FatAndy View Post
In SVO-2 (now SVO-F) everything was and is not bad - shops, bars, cafes. Even in SVO-1 (now SVO-B) there were at least 2 cafes with a hot food after passort control. Terminal D has them too, E also, D of course. Maybe you've had not enough time?
Money changing services? I went to one of them and there was no money exchange after security.
Old 13-11-2011, 12:15

No, money change kiosk (don't remember which bank) I remember existed in SVO-2 several years ago behind that passport control, but now I don't care - 2 plastic cards plus some Dirty Green Papers in cash look like enough for me for not so frequent trips abroad.
Before customs and passport control in SVO-2 (terminal F now) there are offices of Sberbank and Promsvyaz (PSB).
I'll be in SVO-F tomorrow and check it if there will be enough time... what currency you're interested in - GBP/USD/EUR? Drop me PM with your phone number, I'll try to send SMS or write here.
Old 14-11-2011, 10:31
Depressed

Originally Posted by smchilds View Post
Is this so surprising? I think options are always pretty limited when flying out of Russia. Most of my experience is flying to the US from Sheremetyevo and I found the options after passport control to be extremely limited - yes, mainly vending machines, chips, chocolate, bad sandwiches...
For DME - yes it is, Domodedovo was always regarded as the better of Moscow's airports. However, Section E for direct flights to Kazakhstan damages its long-standing good reputation.

For SVO - not it's not. With the exception of Terminal E (as described in the OP) and Terminal D (the new one). Terminal F hasn't changed since it was built for the 1980 Olympics. I can't comment on the northern terminals (i.e. Terminal C) as I haven't been through them.
Closed Thread

Tags
dme, domodedovo, flying, kazakhstan
Sponsored Links