The Moscow Expat Forums

Go Back   The Moscow Expat Forums > Sports, Recreation, Arts and Culture > Out on the Town

Out on the Town Your own uncensored, unbiased opinions on places to party, eat and drink in Moscow – what they serve, how they serve it, what they charge for it, how you wish something could be done about it, and so on.

Post New Thread Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 17:38
Princeps

My impressions of the Boar House/Hot Dog bar

1st their prices ARE NOT cheap ,over 100 py for a damn hot dog is a joke, they to add insult , they charge you for all condiments !!!, Lets see for a damn hot dog with topping its about 225 py ! Remembering what my Grandfather said when I asked him "what are hot dogs made of ?" He replied if you like them , you dont want to know.... I was 7 or 8 years old .(Hot dogs are mad from slightly better than by-products used in pet foods.
Their pizza is not a joke , the sauce is Ketsup with a dash of oregano/basil and garlic , and very over priced and u get a tiny pizza.

dealing with the bartenders is kind of strange , the speak good english until they give you something didnt order , in my case I told they guy DO NOT OPEN the beer til I checked the bottle to see if it was cold enough.

The only real plus this place has is it is on the same Metro line as me.And their is a couple of decent waitresses there I know Olga is one , the other I have forgotten her name, the others have bad attitudes , and forget your order ,or mix your order up !
when will waitresses understand better service means larger tips when you serve westerners? simple math says 10% or 1000py is better than 10% of 350 py business lunch..... The woman Olga understands this well

Can someone tell me the name and address of Dougs new place is please.
As to Dougs former partner Marty he went to Croatia , and he and I lost contact, he doesnt respond to his email address I have, if someone can provide me with his email now , please PM me .

Summary: we live in Russia, and in Moscow .... a city that is over priced and usually NO service ....

except for meeting with freinds, I prefer to stay home and eat my own great food(my pizza is best in Moscow hands down) and I know whats in it....and my beer is always cold , Vodka frozen in my freezer
Old 30-01-2009, 11:57

Hi everyone! I am new here, but had a chance to see HD's - I love it. Great people - so open and friendly, the food is ok and tasty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SYRENKA For This Useful Post:: mosaikmum (30-01-2009), RRM (30-01-2009)
Old 06-02-2009, 18:58
Damn That Butterfly!

Funny

"Great People?"
"food is ok and tasty?"

I might be wrong, and probably went there on the wrong nights, but I definitely cant say the atmosphere was that great, and it kind of killed the taste in the food and the lonely bartenders were only hopefully waiting for customers.

so, to a point, perhaps you're right, they can be great people, but the place is killed, and its disturbing in a way.

on a lighter note, I found out today the general director and the 2nd line manager, were fired from there, replaced by two shokoladnitsa female managers.

so, maybe... maybe hot dogs will become yet another shokoladnitsa atmosphere.

.......WALKING ON THE SUN!
Old 06-02-2009, 20:35
молодой старик

Thanked 2,063 Times in 1,146 Posts
Originally Posted by Billie Bob View Post
as a long time expat out here in moskva,

I will say this about aka Chesterfields then Doug & Marty's Boar House, then Boar House and now Hot Dogs...

It always was a place for the expat crowds to hang out. the owners are still the same, but the managers have changed often enough. It started to die out when Doug left, and then when he reappeared, a few new changes including the name of the joint, and it seemed like it was heading back to what it used to be.

But Doug has left once again, and when I stopped by the hot dogs, first of all, I hate the name, and cant say much that the place is really aspiring or do I have any interest in going back there again.

the prostitutes are always standing there, the security bull dogs always there, but the crowd hasnt' really changed much.

there are alot of places to go to these days, quite different when chesterfields openned up back in the late 90s, even way before the atrium went up across the street. I actually ate pelmeni there once, even before chesterfields.

its just another beer place and thats it.
I have to agree with you! I've been hanging out in the BH-HD quite often, but recently I found it more a turn-off! It ain't the same anymore, although I could NOT complain about the prices (fairly normal for Moscow), the bartenders, the music (200 rbl for a life band is o.k.!) or the security!

The name change did not help at all; I had a long chat with Kim the other day about this. What do you want to be? A fast food place, as the new name might imply? If I did not know better, I would probably not look for a pub behind that name! "Boar House" had more wit!

My major complaint: Some time back it seemed that there was at least a certain chance to have a chat and get acquainted with a nice and unpretentious girl - for whatever that may mean in Moscow. But recently it kept happening that, whenever I smiled at a girl after 10 p.m., I had her sitting on my lap within a split-second, her hand under my shirt, asking me for a 270 rbl cocktail, and then I found myself under pressure explaining why I did not want to take her home immediately for 500 €uro the night. That's not fun, especially when you're NOT in a situation of sexual emergency!!!

So, maybe try to give the place its identity back, control the hookers just a little bit - and the expat crowd will hopefully come again. Any other ideas? I would be curious. Maybe we can build a joint effort to bring the Boar House back to its former glory?
Old 07-02-2009, 15:38

sort of gloomy

been there a few times and its the same thing going on:
- the guards just look intimidatingly at you making you feel unwelcome
- the place in itself is worn down and shitty
- entrance fee sucks especially since there is absolutely nothing that justifies the cover
- dont know if it is meant to be a place for hookers and thats what you want when you go there, but im not particularly interested in them
- the hookers that are there are skanky; old, ugly, alway a few of them so drunk that they dont know what they are doing and look really shitty
- the food is nowhere near price-worthy had burger once and it was tasteless

so basically, when leaving this place you just feel that you are on a really loosing streak. for watching football id rather go to places like sportland, liga pap or other places where you dont have an atmosphere impregnated with skanky hookers phermomones.
Old 12-02-2009, 18:16
The Horse Whisperer

Where is this place, anyway?
Old 12-02-2009, 20:55
молодой старик

Thanked 2,063 Times in 1,146 Posts
Now, having been in the HD again last Sunday, I do need to revise my previous statement somewhat!

Entering the place at around 10h45 p.m., I was charged 200 rbl admission. FOR WHAT??? There was no life music (at least not any more!), and the place was so empty I could almost hear the crickets chirping!

I was trying to avoid eye contact to the "horizontal business ladies" since I was not in the mood to disappoint them again. So I took a little time to just look around. Yes, the place has a rundown look, but that does not really bother me at a pub. The grimy strings could be removed from the ceiling grid.

But I do wonder what purpose all these models of buildings serve which are standing around? The identity of the place is simply not apparent to me!

After Midnight there were a bunch of real obnoxious guys flocking in with an ugly Hummer parked outside - much to the delight of the "ladies". That's when I finally decided to quit.

Again, I think there is potential in the HD, otherwise I would not go there any more; but it needs some cleaning up - in many respects! And, yes, I am also slowly starting to hang out in other places!
Old 22-05-2009, 15:07
Contributing Member

The food here is ghastly. Cheese from produtki on pizza and everything premade then microwaved.

Gordon Ramsey would have a field day with this place.

Last edited by innovator; 23-05-2009 at 05:48.
Old 23-05-2009, 08:04
kiss my shiny metal ........

Thanked 10,208 Times in 5,996 Posts
Forget about the pizza,the BBQ burger at Hotdogs is very good.
Old 23-05-2009, 10:40
Jedi Knight

Thanked 1,645 Times in 676 Posts
Chesterfield's/Doug & Marty's/Hot Dog's has always been a grimy dump full of hookers.

Thought is was slated for demolishment ages ago. Why does it survive still?
Old 23-05-2009, 11:24
kiss my shiny metal ........

Thanked 10,208 Times in 5,996 Posts
Why does it survive still?
On weekends it's still packed out,Monday nights is also packed.Location is good,great offers on drinks and the place is big enough to hold groups of 15+people.
This is enough to keep it open.Oh yeah, did I mention they do a great BBQ burger,decent size meat,loads of bacon and packed and onions.Yummy.
And no, I don't work for them in any way,just a happy customer,and the place is even better now that they have poker .

Last edited by Judge; 23-05-2009 at 11:35.
Old 23-05-2009, 13:37

I've found it very useful for watching Prem games at the weekends.
Old 23-05-2009, 20:09
Eazy E

Thanked 6,133 Times in 2,758 Posts
Hot Dogs is on walking distance from where I live and in 10 years in Moscow, I've never been there. Maybe I should go, but a few things stop me:
- the old image attached to the place, like the nick it had when it was still Boarhouse
- the shabby looks from the outside. Never see this place (day or night) looking very welcoming
- no reason to really go there. Does this place advertise?
Old 24-05-2009, 08:28
Princeps

No adverts

the last 2 times I was there in the evening it was mainly young Russian people, people know about the "working ladies" and start to leave at 9:30-10pm regaurdless if there is a live band playing.The professional ladies that are barred from going inside soliciate you as you leave at ther bottom of the stairs !the food and service is sliding into the deep..... stay clear of anything with mayo there (their blue cheese mayo for the wings made me queezy).
I think the only reason they survive is hope of recovering the glory days , and or being very close to the Metro. I ordered a rum and coke, I got diet pepsi it was totally disgusting tasting.
Originally Posted by ezik View Post
Hot Dogs is on walking distance from where I live and in 10 years in Moscow, I've never been there. Maybe I should go, but a few things stop me:
- the old image attached to the place, like the nick it had when it was still Boarhouse
- the shabby looks from the outside. Never see this place (day or night) looking very welcoming
- no reason to really go there. Does this place advertise?

Last edited by kapione; 24-05-2009 at 08:42.
Old 24-05-2009, 08:36

Originally Posted by innovator View Post

Gordon Ramsey would have a field day with this place.
Ladies man is he?
Closed Thread

Tags
boar, dog, hot, house
Sponsored Links